Sliced Rainbow Cookies for St Patrick’s Day
This rainbow cookie recipe has long been a favorite of the kids in the Hey Mom! What’s Cooking? house, they love the bright rainbow colors. They also make a perfect treat for St Patrick’s Day. So here you go our favorite St Patrick’s Day Rainbow Cookie recipe straight from my kitchen to yours.
St Patrick’s Day Rainbow Cookies
When you think of St Patrick’s day one of the first things that come to mind after Shamrocks are Rainbows right? Well, these rainbow cookies are one of the simple ways that we celebrate St Patrick’s Day here.
Yes before you tell me food coloring isn’t great for the kids! I know, but it’s not often and they do make brilliant cookies to share.
What food coloring to use for Rainbow Cookies
If you want to get bright and vibrant rainbow colors in your cookies like we have then you will want to use a food coloring gel instead of a liquid. The gel is much stronger and a little will color the dough for the cookies really well.
Subscribe for Tasty Treats Straight to your Inbox
Ingredients for St Patrick’s Day Cookies
- 2 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 ½ cups white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Red, orange, yellow, green, and blue food coloring gel
How to Make Rainbow Cookies for St Patrick’s Day
1. Whisk together the flour, baking soda, and baking powder until combined. Set aside.
2. In a separate bowl, beat together the butter and sugar.
3. Add the egg and vanilla and beat to combine.
4. Add the dry ingredients and mix until combined.
5. Separate the dough evenly into five bowls. Add three to four drops of gel food coloring to each bowl and work the coloring into the dough until the dough is fully tinted. Wear gloves to keep the food coloring from staining your hands.
6. When all the dough is colored, place each color in a quart size zip top bag and press the dough into a rectangle in the bottom of the bag, making sure to keep each color roughly the same size.
7. Place the dough in the refrigerator to chill for at least two hours.
8. When the dough has hardened, use scissors to cut the bag from around each color and stack them in the order of a rainbow: red, orange, yellow, green, and blue.
9. Make sure the edges are lined up evenly on the stack, then wrap the entire stack tightly with plastic wrap. Place the dough back in the refrigerator to chill for 2 hours.
10. When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
11. Remove the dough from the refrigerator and slice the stack into ¼ inch slices. Trim the rough edges off each slice, then cut the slice in half down the middle to make two cookies.
12. Place the cookies on the prepared baking sheet, leaving around one inch between each cookie for spreading. Place the remaining cookies in the refrigerator until you’re ready to bake your next batch.
13. Bake the cookies for 8 to 10 minutes, then allow the cookies to cool on the pan for around five minutes. After that, transfer the cookies to a wire cooling rack to cool completely before serving.
More Easy Cookie Recipes
- Easy beginners Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
- No-chill Sugar Cookie Recipe with Buttercream frosting
- Red Velvet Easy Cookies