Summer is finally here and I’m always looking for easy treats and desserts to share with my kids. These ice cream sandwiches made with homemade waffles are perfect for a hot summer day; my kids love to reach for them and enjoy them! So after making a batch at the weekend, I thought I would share my homemade waffle ice cream sandwich recipe with you so your family can enjoy them too!
Homemade Waffle Ice Cream Sandwich
I shared our brownie waffle sandwich with ice cream a few years ago and it’s always been a favourite of my kids. But, they want something without chocolate sometimes (Yes I know crazy kids!) so I got out the waffle iron, made up some fluffy Belgian waffles, added some vanilla ice cream, and the essential sprinkles, and my kids dived right in.
They are so easy to make you’re just going to need a waffle maker and a little time to put these together and then freeze them. Then they are ready to eat and you kids can grab them any time!
Check out our other waffle recipes if you have a waffle maker there are so many variations we love that I’m sharing with you here on Hey Mom! What’s Cooking?
Subscribe for Tasty Treats Straight to your Inbox
Ingredients for Belgian Waffle Ice Cream Sandwiches
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups milk
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
- 1 pint vanilla ice cream
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips and colourful sprinkles
How to Make Waffle Ice Cream Sandwiches
1. Preheat the waffle iron.
2. Whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk the milk, eggs, vanilla, and melted butter.
4. Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and pour in the milk mixture. Stir until just mixed.
5. Spray the hot waffle iron with nonstick cooking spray and scoop the batter onto the iron. Close the lid and allow to cook until it stops steaming, around 5 minutes.
6. Remove the waffle from the waffle iron and allow the waffles to cool completely.
7. Cut the waffles into quarters.
8. Spread the vanilla ice cream evenly over one piece of waffle and place another piece of waffle on top.
9. Dip the sides of the ice cream sandwich in the chocolate chips or sprinkles.
Place the sandwiches on a plate or baking sheet lined with parchment paper and store them in the freezer for at least four hours.
Then they are ready to serve.
How to Batch Make and Store these Summer Waffle Desserts
I’m all about making things easy for myself and by spending a little time when available batch cooking and freezing these they are there whenever my kids want to grab a treat or dessert. Perfect for when the friends come around and we have a hoard of hungry teens in the house!
It’s really easy to do, just batch-make these at the weekend and freeze them on trays. Once they have frozen (about 4 hours) then place them into an airtight container or into freezer bags.
I tend to make up this recipe for each batch rather than double or triple it, mainly because I don’t have a big enough bowl to do more!
One of the kids’ friends heated up some hot caramel sauce when they were around and poured that over the frozen desserts. It was delicious! I would recommend it, but they are great just as they are!
Why not use some red, white and blue sprinkles and make up a batch to share with your friends and family at your 4th of July Picnic?