One of my favourite cakes for Easter is a classic Simnel Cake but the kids find it a bit too much so I played around with the recipe a little bit and adapted a basic cupcake recipe to create these simple to make Simnel Cupcakes perfect for a little Easter treat so here you go an easy to make version of the Simnel Cake for Easter in cupcake form.
Easter Cupcakes – Simnel Recipe
Simnel Cake is a delicious rich fruit and marzipan cake that is served at Easter it’s amazing, but as I said the kids find it too rich (much like they do with traditional Christmas Cake). However, these lighter cupcakes they love.
With dried fruit, marzipan and no spices just some vanilla extract for flavour they have a similar taste but for those that don’t like rich fruit cakes these are perfect.
Ingredients for Simnel Cupcakes for Easter
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 cups mixed dried fruit (I used golden raisins, cranberries, and cherries)
- 1 cup apricot jam
- 8 ounces marzipan
How to Make your Easter Simnel Cupcakes
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a muffin pan with liners.
Subscribe for Tasty Treats Straight to your Inbox
2. Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
3. In a separate bowl, beat together the butter and brown sugar.
4. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating between each addition.
5. Add the lemon juice, vanilla extract, and lemon zest. Beat to combine.
6. Add the dry ingredients and mix to combine.
7. Fold in the dried fruit.
8. Transfer the batter to the prepared muffin pan, filling each cup 2/3 full of batter.
9. Bake in the preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
10. Allow the cupcakes to cool completely, then place the apricot jam in the microwave for 30 seconds. Brush the top of each cupcake with the warm jam, then place the cupcakes in the refrigerator to chill for 30 minutes.
11. While the cupcakes are chilling, roll out the marzipan and use a round cookie cutter to cut out 12 circles. Then, roll the scraps into 12 balls.
12. Place one circle on top of each cupcake, then top it with a marzipan ball.
More Easter Treats for the Family
- Easter hot cocoa bombs (perfect for adding to kids Easter Baskets)
- Mini Egg Blondies
- Carrot Patch Cupcakes for the Easter Bunny