Easter Cake Bars with Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
Who doesn’t love a delicious treat at Easter? Well, my kids certainly do and this yummy Easter Cake Bar is fantastically easy to make. With a chocolate buttercream frosting, it’s quick and simple and all the family loved it last year for our Easter Egg Hunt. So here you go an Easter cake bar recipe with a simple-to-make chocolate buttercream icing.
Easter Cake Bars
There is nothing simpler than a sponge cake to make. It’s one of the basic recipes I have taught my kids and just that basic recipe there are some many ways that it can be adapted.
This Easter Cake Bar is cooked in a square pan, frosted with a simple and easy buttercream icing flavoured with chocolate, and finished off with some of my favourite mini eggs.
It’s one of the recipes that my teens can make themselves but it’s equally fun to make alongside them or as a treat or Easter dessert. I love to serve these with our Easter Egg Blondies so that there is a couple of cake options for people to choose from.
Subscribe for Tasty Treats Straight to your Inbox
Ingredients for Easy Easter Bars
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup rainbow sprinkles
The rainbow sprinkles are optional but they really add a little special something to the cake bars so I would definitely keep them in.
Why not buy 2 packets of chocolate mini eggs and make our delicious Easter Cheesecake Dessert as well.
Ingredients for the Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 2 1/4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Chocolate eggs for decorating.
How to Make Easter Cake Bars
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9×13 pan with nonstick cooking spray.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
3. In a separate bowl, beat together the vegetable oil, sugar eggs, and vanilla until well combined.
4. Add the flour mixture and beat to combine, then add the milk and beat until mixed.
5. Fold in the rainbow sprinkles.
6. Spread the mixture evenly across the pan and bake for 35 to 40 minutes.
7. Allow the cake to cool completely before frosting
How to Make Chocolate Buttercream Icing
1. In a medium bowl beat the unsalted butter till smooth with a little milk and vanilla extract.
2. Mix the powdered sugar and cocoa powder together.
3. Add the cocoa and sugar mix a little at a time to your bowl with the butter and beat together till a smooth buttercream frosting is achieved.
4. Then spread the frosting evenly over the top of the cake, then cut it into bars.
5. Top each bar with chocolate eggs before serving.
More Delicious Treats for Easter
- No-chill Simple Easter Sugar Cookies
- Carrot Patch Cupcakes
- Easter Mini Egg Baked Cheesecake