Are you looking for a traditional Easter Bread recipe that you can make the dough in the Bread Machine? Then this is the one for you. I love the colourful Easter Bread but making it by hand is long and I’m busy so adjusting the recipe I had this is a simple alternative that you can make the dough in the bread maker and still have delicious Easter Bread for your Easter Brunch or celebration.
What is Easter Bread
Easter bread is a traditional bread from Greece and Italy, it’s made from an enriched dough (butter and eggs added) somewhat similar to a brioche. But then it’s twisted and plaited to create a knot. Into the dough dyed eggs are placed that then are baked at the same time the bread does in the oven.
It’s really a beautiful colourful bread and tasty as well makes a great centre piece for your Easter table.
Ingredients for Easter Bread
This makes 1 loaf
Subscribe for Tasty Treats Straight to your Inbox
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 ½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 packet instant yeast
Ingredients for Decorating the Easter Bread
- 5 uncooked eggs, dyed
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted.
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
How to Make Easter Bread in the Bread Maker
1. Add the bread ingredients in the order listed above to the pan of the bread machine.
2. Set the machine to the dough setting.
3. When the bread machine is finished, remove the dough from the pan and transfer it to a lightly floured surface. Allow the dough to rest at room temperature for 10 minutes.
4. Separate the dough into two equal pieces. Roll each piece into a thin log around 36 inches long.
5. Transfer each piece of dough to a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Secure the ends of each log together and loosely twist the two pieces together into a braid.
6. Secure the ends together to form a circle.
7. Place the dyed eggs into the weave of the braid.
8. Cover the bread with a damp cloth and allow to rest in a warm place for 45 minutes.
9. When the dough has doubled in size, preheat the oven to 350 degrees and brush the bread with melted butter.
10. Bake the bread in the oven for 25 to 30 minutes, until the crust is golden brown.
11. Allow to cool, then sprinkle powdered sugar over the top of the bread before serving.