Although at the weekend we may spend a little longer cooking for mid-week family meals I try and make it possible to cook quickly and easily in under 40 minutes. This Chicken Carbonara Recipe is perfect as it’s ready in 35 minutes and tastes amazing.
Whole Chicken Breast Carbonara Recipe
Chicken is one of the main meats we each. We are especially lucky that our local butchers have skinned chicken breasts and unlike the ones, in the supermarket, they don’t decrease in size by much when cooked.
Chicken is also one of the few things that the whole family will eat. This dish is a family favourite.
Although – for the boys, we tend to half the sauce and in their half skip the cheese as they really don’t like it (I know crazy right)!
Subscribe for Tasty Treats Straight to your Inbox
Although we’ve served it with Spaghetti here we use whichever pasta we have to hand. If you make it with penne pasta then the sauce gets inside the tubes as you mix it with the pasta and it tastes amazing.
Ingredients for this Simple Chicken Carbonara Recipe
- 4 chicken breasts
- 5 strips smoked bacon chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 500 ml milk
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch combined with 2 tablespoons cold water
- 112 g shredded mozzarella cheese
- 45 g grated parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
This is the perfect time to make some extra bacon and save for making hashbrowns, bacon, and cheese muffins in the morning.
How to Make Chicken Carbonara for an Easy Weeknight Meal
1. Using a meat pounder, pound the chicken breasts until thin and flat. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
2. In a large frying pan, cook chopped bacon until crisp. Remove from pan and set aside.
3. Add butter to pan. When butter is melted, place chicken in the pan with the bacon grease and butter. Sear both sides of the chicken and remove from pan.
4. Add onions and garlic and cook until translucent.
5. Pour milk into pan and deglaze by scraping the bottom of the pan with a wooden spatula. Stir to combine ingredients, then place chicken back into pan.
6. Cook over medium low heat for 20 minutes. Pour in the cornstarch mixture and stir to combine. Simmer for 5 more minutes.
7. Remove from heat and add the mozzarella and parmesan cheeses. Stir until the cheese is melted and the sauce is well combined.
8. Add the bacon bits to the pan and stir to combine.
9. If serving over pasta, add cooked pasta to pan and toss with sauce. Serve with chicken on top of sauced pasta.
More Easy Meals for Families
Check out these other simple and easy meals for families