We are huge fans of fun waffles in the Hey Mom house, the kids love them for breakfast, dinner and every special occasion calls for some special waffles for them to enjoy. These Red Velvet Waffles were asked for, for our Valentine’s Day breakfast last year and they were a real hit with the kids. So I had to share them with you this year so you and your family can enjoy them too. So here you go our delicious red velvet waffles for breakfast on Valentine’s Day.
Valentine’s Day Breakfast Waffles
Although we don’t make a huge fuss of Valentine’s Day it’s nice to have a little treat especially if it falls in half term where I have a bit more time in the morning. These were requested by my eldest as he wanted some red waffles for Valentine’s day.
They are super fluffy and although they do take a little longer to prepare than our easy waffle recipe it is worth it for the taste.
What are the Ingredients for Red Velvet Waffles
- 1 ½ cups flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs, separated
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- red food colouring
For the glaze:
- 2 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar
Check out our recipe for Red Velvet Pancakes with a Cream Cheese Glaze perfect for a Valentine’s Day Dessert as well!
How do you Make Fluffy Red Velvet Waffles for Valentine’s Day Breakfast?
1. Preheat the waffle iron.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, cocoa powder, salt, and sugar.
3. Add the milk, egg yolks, and oil and stir to combine.
4. In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until thick and foamy. Add the whites to the bowl with the flour mixture and the red food colouring.
5. In a small bowl, combine the vinegar and baking soda until all the baking soda is dissolved. Add to the batter. Stir until just combined.
6. Scoop the batter onto the hot waffle iron and cook for 4 to 5 minutes, until the waffle iron stops steaming. Continue cooking until all the batter has been used.
7. To make the glaze, beat together the cream cheese, butter, vanilla, and powdered sugar until smooth. Place the glaze in the microwave for 30 seconds, then stir to mix.
8. Drizzle the warm glaze over the top of the waffles before serving.
Make the most of your Waffle Iron with these other recipes
Want to get the best out of your waffle iron then why not make some of these other recipes as well.